Match Report

Super League
Friday 17th May 2013, 20:00
Super League - Round: 15
Super League
Salford Red Devils

Salford Red Devils

(7) 7


Bradford Bulls

(18) 28

Bradford Bulls


Ryan McGoldrick,



Luke Gale, Matty Blythe 2, Matt Diskin, Adrian Purtell,


Marc Sneyd,




Jarrod Sammut 4,

Drop Goals

Ryan McGoldrick,

Drop Goals



Attendance: 5,106  Official: T Roby  Venue: Salford City Stadium



Action Timeline

bradford Opponent33495
try goal interchange_on interchange_on interchange_off interchange_off try goal try goal try goal try
interchange_off interchange_off interchange_off try goal dropgoal interchange_off

Full Time Report

Matty Blythe’s two first-half tries helped the Bulls get back in the groove with a win at Salford.

The result ended a run of three-straight Super League defeats for the Bulls, as they boosted their hopes of reaching the playoffs for the first time in five years.

Jarrod Sammut, in place of injured fullback Brett Kearney, providing the spark in attack and Elliot Whitehead the grit and determination in defence.

Francis Cummins gave a debut to on-loan Huddersfield prop Jacob Fairbank after Adam Sidlow failed to recover from a shoulder injury, whilst Jamie Langley also featured after missing the previous three, making his 250th appearance in the red, amber and black in the process.

The Bulls started slowly but clicked into gear nine minutes in, as Luke Gale’s ball almost saw Nick Scruton over, but the Bulls prop failed to take in the difficult pass, with the try-line at his mercy.

The Bulls made amends on 17 minutes, with Sammut skipping through the Salford line in the Bulls 20 before playing in Luke Gale, who put the afterburners on to race in under the sticks. Sammut adding the extras.

Salford almost replied immediately after Chev Walker fumbled taking in a knock on the next tackle, but Keith Lulia held strong to send Martin Gleeson into touch out-wide.

But the Reds did eventually reply when Aussie makeshift standoff Ryan McGoldrick took on the line to go over on the angle. Marc Sneyd converting to level the scores and former Castleford stalwart McGoldrick then dropped a goal to give the home side the lead.

However, the visitors then hit-back six minutes before the break. Danny Addy’s deft grubber was too much to handle for young French half Theo Fages, with Matty Blythe taking full advantage to touchdown.

Sammut once again made no mistake making it 12-7. And the Bulls creative fulcrum then had a hand in their next try, finding Blythe in for his second back on the inside, with Sammut’s goal then sending the Bulls 11 points to the good at half-time.

The second period started in similar fashion to the first, as both sides failed to make inroads. Elliot Kear came closest for the visitors, almost finding the space to go in on the edge before knocking on.

Former Bull Chris Nero went down with a suspected neck injury which saw an eight minute stoppage in play.

The break in play seemed to refresh the Bulls, as they further extended their lead through Matt Diskin’s scoot from dummy-half, after Elliot Whitehead made the tackle which set the platform, forcing Lee Gaskell into touch. Sammut goaling for the fourth time.

And the icing was then put on the cake late on, with Sammut once again the orchestrator, this time feeding in Adrian Purtell at the corner to round off a well-deserved victory for Francis Cummins’s men.

Salford City Reds: Sneyd; Broughton, Gleeson, Gaskell, Gibson; McGoldrick, Fages; Griffin, Foran, Walne, Ashurst, Dixon, Wild. Subs: Nero, Mauro, Emmit, Godwin.

Bradford Bulls: Sammut; Kear, Lulia, Purtell, Platt; Addy, Gale; Scruton, L’Estrange, Langley, Blythe, Whitehead, Walker. Subs: Diskin, Bateman, Evans, Fairbank.