Match Report

Super League
Sunday 14th April 2013, 15:00
Super League - Round: 12
Super League
Bradford Bulls

Bradford Bulls

(0) 6


Wigan Warriors

(30) 36

Wigan Warriors


Jarrod Sammut,



Liam Farrell 3, Blake Green, Jack Hughes, Sam Tomkins,


Jarrod Sammut,




Pat Richards 6,

Drop Goals


Drop Goals



Attendance: 9,899  Official: T Roby  Venue: Provident Stadium, Odsal



Action Timeline

bradford Opponent33507
interchange_off interchange_on interchange_off interchange_on try goal
try goal try goal interchange_off interchange_on try interchange_off goal interchange_on try goal try goal try goal

Full Time Report

In-form second rower Liam Farrell scored a first half hat-trick of tries as Super League leaders Wigan Warriors pricked Bradford Bulls’ bubble by cruising to victory at Odsal.

Bulls coach Francis Cummins dubbed today's game a yardstick to measure his team's play-off prospects following an encouraging start to the season and he will now be acutely aware of the true size of the task after suffering a first defeat in four matches in such emphatic fashion.

Bradford's disappointment ought to be tempered by the fact that few teams could have lived with the Warriors in this form, especially in the first half, as they consolidated their lead at the top of the table with a fifth straight win.

The victory stroll came a fortnight after Wigan's Super League record 84-6 win at Hull KR, with coach Shaun Wane once more unlikely to be amused by the concession of a try after his side led 36-0.

Lee Mossop, out since February with a shoulder injury, was one of five internationals back in action for the Warriors, with second rower Harrison Hansen making his first appearance of the season after recovering from a wrist problem.

The star-studded Wigan pack quickly established dominance to enable half-backs Matty Smith and Blake Green to run the show and the game was over as a contest by half-time when the visitors led 30-0.

Bradford failed miserably to make use of the stiff breeze at their backs and, in fact, little went right for them from the moment Green's grubber kick rebounded off defender Elliott Whitehead into the grateful arms of Farrell for his first try after only nine minutes.

The ever-dangerous Green dummied his way over for Wigan's second try five minutes later and Pat Richards' second goal made it 12-0.

Bradford finally weathered the visitors' early storm but could not seriously trouble the best defence in Super League before the break.

Mossop was held up over the line and replacement hooker Logan Tomkins was thrown back from it as Wigan continued to have things very much their own way.

It was no surprise when centre Jack Hughes took skipper Sean O'Loughlin's pass to go over for his side's third try on 27 minutes and, although the introduction of Luke Gale added potency to Bradford's attack, their defence was cracked twice more in the last five minutes of the first half.

Farrell seized on a fumble by full-back Brett Kearney to claim his second try and left defenders Jamie Langley and Adam Sidlow grasping at thin air moments later to complete his hat-trick and take his tally for the season to nine in 12 games.

Wigan began the second half in the same vein, with Sam Tomkins racing onto Smith's perfectly-judged kick for a try within 90 seconds of the re-start and Richards kicked his sixth goal from as many attempts.

The Bulls finally opened their account after 52 minutes when half-back Jarrod Sammut collected Gale's lofted kick to register his 14th try of the season to draw level with Tomkins and also kicked the conversion.

That spurred Bradford to produce their best rugby of the match but they had left themselves too much to do and they finished the game with 12 men when Whitehead was sin-binned for repeated team offences